Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2018 20:34:30 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Advice on backups

On Thu, 06 Dec 2018 12:28:32 -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestions. I use CVS on all conf files, so those are
> captured in the tarballs since they reside under the conf directories.

Really? _That_ CVS? So I'm not the only remaining user... ;-)

> I'll take a look at dump and restore. One concern I have is that I'm
> creating the backups on the system, so use of space during the process is a
> consideration.

With dump, you can do full and incremental backups. Those
tools are provided by the OS, so you don't need any specific
external service. Being independent from 3rd party services
is something I consider very important and useful.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany