Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:54:44 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Steve Franks <stevefranks@ieee.org>, Roger Olofsson <raggen@passagen.se>
Subject:   Re: IBM HDs vanish on warm-boot?

On Monday 16 July 2007, Steve Franks wrote:
> I just had this problem this week - drives are fine until you access
> one and then disappears.
>
> Checked my bios monitor page and 12V was only 11.8V.  Changing from a
> 300W to a 500W power supply magically fixed the problem...
>
> I don't claim that this is necessarily your problem, but it caught me
> off-guard and it's worth looking at.

I just finished rebuilding a system that went down on Saturday
afternoon. It ended up being the power supply. Early on, I probably
could have just replaced the ps but after a number of fsck's, followed
by panics, there were files that were linked and etc. and the system
wouldn't boot into single user mode. A rebuild using a brand new HD
seemed the logical way out. I could mount the old disk and cp important
directories or individual files onto the new HD.

It turned out that / was the only one trashed but backup files
of /etc , /home/user's, and all of the port tarballs were ok.

Kent