Date:      Tue, 29 May 2018 12:58:53 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>,  Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to update or should we update Kerberos

Sean Bruno wrote:
[stuff snipped]
>Heh, yeah, I asked this question *wrong*.  I know how we use it in the
>cluster.  :-)
>
>I mean to ask, "why aren't we using ports for kerberos?"  What purpose
>does it serve in the base system?
Although I have no idea how many use it, both the NFS client and server can=
 do
Kerberized mounts. I haven't tried, but it probably needs some bits to buil=
d it
and if you move it to ports, there would be duplicates (and the opportunity=
have one change without the other introducing a hard to find bug).

Also, I'd argue that security technology like this is pretty "core".

I am mainly referring to the libraries and client side stuff and not the KD=
C.

rick