Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:42:48 +0200
From:      "Benny Goemans" <benny.goemans@telenet.be>
To:        "Vladimir Konrad" <v.konrad@lse.ac.uk>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sil3114 versus sil3114a

Hi,

if you are planning to use the Sil3114 in a raid, I don't recommend it. I've
been using it a while, but FreeBSD doesn't support the raid that you create
using the bios. Thus, if you're planning to do a dual boot (ie. Windows),
it's a bad idea because you can't use the raid features then. Besides, I've
noticed (from using it myself for half a year), that it's stability isn't
really that good.

What I propose is to check whether the motherboard has some other raid
controller (i.e. for a NForce4 motherboard, the Nvidia Raid) that is
supported and use that one.

If, on the other hand, you don't need raid features, it should work without
problems.

Benny