Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:06:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mitch James <mitchj@hardware.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Correction:Fatal Trap 12: Page fault....

Sorry to repost this, I got my versions upside down. :-( I was trying to be
as detailed as possible. Thanks for any help.MJ.

Hi All,
I started with FreeBSD on my machine with 2.1.1? upgraded to 2.1.5 off the
WC CD-ROM.  I began getting The Fatal Trap 23: ... error right after the
upgrade. I'm using a Cyrix 686 P-150 w/32 meg ram.  I thought my problem
was some bug with 2.1.5 so I waited for the 2.1.6 CD to fix the problem. I
have now changed out the SCSI card that I thought was suspect, it was
running 2.1.1 just fine.  I just tonight started to track the info that
pops up on screen just before the reboot. Here it is:

	Fatal Trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
	fault vertual address	=0x1c
	fault code		=supervisor read, page not present
	instruction pointer	=0x8:0xf01292d9
	code segment		=base 0x0, limit 0xfffff type 0x1b
				=DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
	processor eflags	=interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
	current process		=137 (sysinstall)
	interrupt mask		=
	Panic:page fault

I tried for a while to see if I could repeat, looking for a common behavior
on my part, and got the same message while in /stand/sysintall. The
two lines with different messages are below.  I've had this happen while
doing other thing besides sysinstall. As varried as finger, shutdown, ppp
etc. I've rebuilt the kernel several times, and tried to reload through
sysinstall. I have not tried to delete all the directories to install from
a bare disk.

	instruction pointer	=0x8:0xf01271c6
	current process		=221 (XF86Setup)

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Mitch

 Mitch James--Poulsbo, Wa.          Living near Latte' land
 mitch@hardware.com               James Lumber & Ace Hardware
 http://www.hardware.com/   http://www.hardware.com/complist.html