Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 1997 19:05:15 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A quick note to those without DNS resolvable mail hosts.

> I can't make up my mind yet whether this isn't overkill, but probably
> I don't get the level of spam you do.  I do see one big problem,

Can you say "up to 40% of an incoming day's mail before I did this?"
I thought so. :-(

> though: FreeBSD-questions.  A lot of the people out there either are
> complete newcomers to FreeBSD, or they lack the experience and
> understanding to comply with the new requirements.  A lot of them are
> AOL.  By implementing these measures, you may not kill -questions, but

I didn't say we were killing AOL.COM, I merely cited them as an
example of someplace people generally didn't want to be. :)

As I said, the highest ratio of rejection comes from blocking invalid
mail hosts and if these newcomer types have clueless admins or haven't
registered their boxes properly, well, "sorry, I guess" :-)

> I've taken a quite look at http://tech.gulf.net/spam/, and note that
> they have a list of blacklisted IP addresses as well.  Wouldn't that
> be an alternative to domain names?

Sure, but I think the biggest issue here is unresolvable host names -
changing this part of the equation won't have any effect on those
folks.

					Jordan