Date:      Tue, 01 Sep 1998 23:10:16 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Marc_van_Woerkom@notes.labcontrol.com
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Optimizing my i4b installation

Marc_van_Woerkom@notes.labcontrol.com writes:
[snip]
>- What settings (/etc/hosts, /etc/resolve.conf ..) are
>  recommended for a stand-alone box with no
>  official/granted IP number and no domain name that
>  just connects to an ISP if some outbound connection needed?
>
>  Right now I use this construct for /etc/hosts:
>
>      127.0.0.1 localhost myhost.my.domain
>      10.0.0.1  myhost.my.domain myhost

in /etc/host.conf put ``hosts'' first followed by ``bind''. That way
you'll end up using your /etc/hosts file in preference to any name
server. In /etc/resolv.conf put in an entry pointing at your ISP's
name server (he _does_ have one, I hope, and you do know its address ?)

>- Occasionally I want to use the second ISDN channel to
>  speed up transfers - is it possible to painlessly
>  add and remove the second channel while I am doing
>  some enormous data transfer (and will the current
>  transfer benefit from the 2nd channel?)

MPPP isn't supported. Eivind Ecklund is working on adding it. You can
use the second channel to go to a different target, e.g. call your
friend while you're grabbing something through your ISP.

This is also known as channel bundling.

>- From time to time I would like to have my network connection
>  not through my main ISP (using ppp) but having it through
>  a friend's system (using HDLC) - maybe even simultaneously -
>  anyone got a clever configuration scheme for this?

set up one of the ipr interfaces to point directly to your friend and
put an entry into the isdnd.rc file for him. I do this all the time.
This is especially easy if you add an entry into /etc/hosts for him
with the same IP address as you assign to the ipr interface. Then
just do ``telnet myfriend'', for example. If you set up the interface
correctly it should dial out to him.

>- My ISP uses a secondwise accounting and charges DM 0.02 to
>  0.04 per minute (minimum of 0.1 min). It seems I have not
>  configured the i4b accounting utility correctly - is it
>  ok to use 1 as 'charging unit' in this case, or how would
>  you setup the rates file?

I'd just convert so that it corresponds to a unit a la the Telekom, i.e.
the Telekom charges 12 pf per unit and the units vary from 90 to 240
seconds. Just figure out what would be equivalent and use that in the
rates file.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de