Date:      Thu, 03 Feb 2011 17:07:27 -0800
From:      Rem P Roberti <remegius@comcast.net>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Running Xsane as user

> Boy, this kind of problem has been following around lately. When I
>> attempt to start Xsane as user I get an error message telling me "No
>> device available."  One of the help options states that the permissions
>> for the device file may not allow its use---try as root.  Naturally,
>> when I start the program as root it recognizes the scanner and works
>> perfectly.  But I sure don't want to run this program as root.  I
>> thought that I had all of my permissions taken care of in
>> /etc/devfs.conf, but apparently I don't.  Either that or it really isn't
>> a permissions problem to begin with, in which case I'm not sure where to
>> start looking for a solution.
> The file devfs.conf is only for devices that are connected at boot. For
> devices like USB that are plugged in after booting, you should use
> devfs.rules. Read the manpages for devfs.conf and devfs.rules.
>
> I've got the following in my /etc/devfs.rules for USB devices;
>
>      add path 'usb/*' mode 0660 group usb
>      add path 'ugen*' mode 0660 group usb
>
> Of course my user-id is in the usb group. If you trust all users of the system
> then 'mode 0666' would suffice, and you don't need to use a special group.
>
> Roland

Yep...I was a bit quick on the trigger.  Object lesson: IT PAYS TO READ
THE HANDBOOK!:-)   But thank you for responding.  Once I created the usb
group and put the appropriate entries in /etc/devfs.rules all was well.
This was a good learn for me, however, since I now understand the
difference between devfs.conf and devfs.rules.

Cheers...

Rem