Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:30:13 +0500 (GMT)
From:      Cesar KMo Prueba <cesar@mail.uigv.edu.pe>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pwd.db

Thanks FreeBSD\' Gurus:

Thanks, so now I understand why FreeBSD is powerful.
Now, the next one question is:

In Perl there are the function crypt($word, $salt),
that encrypt the one \"word\" using a \"salt\" to create
encrypt password, that in Solaris 2.X is generally put
on the file /etc/shadow. How I can do the same in
FreeBSD?

Thanks in advance

-Cesar
Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 cesar@mail.uigv.edu.pe wrote:
>
> > hi FreeBSD gurus:
> >
> > Are there relation betwen /etc/passwd
and /etc/pwd.db?

> Yes - from master.passwd is created passwd, and the
pwd.db and the
> shadowed version - the former are for legacy programs
that want direct
> file access, the latter for programs and system
issues done in the db