Date:      Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:37:29 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@magnesium.net>
Cc:        vd@datamax.bg, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The right way to depend on a package's extra feature

--oOB74oR0WcNeq9Zb

On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 03:35:01AM -0400, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> Stijn Hoop wrote:
> >On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 03:10:10AM -0400, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> >>I have that same problem with deskutils/gourmet. It needs a metakit=20
> >>built with python support, but python support is disabled by default.=
=20
> >>You can see what I've done as a kludge in deskutils/gourmet/Makefile,=
=20
> >>but the best solution would be to separate metakit into a master/slave
> >>port thing so you can just depend on metakit-python and be done with it.
> >
> >This is not the _best_ thing to do though, as other ports may depend
> >on the master port, in turn requiring both the master and the slave
> >port to be installed. This in turn leads to a knob to select the
> >'right' port for a piece of software, which is not always present.
> >
> >I.e. I have both devel/svk and devel/subversion installed. Now, I need
> >devel/subversion because other software depends on it, so I build it
> >with perl bindings by myself. However, devel/svk insists on depending
> >on devel/subversion-perl because it wants the perl bindings -> not
> >good...
>=20
> But if devel/subversion-perl only contains the perl-enabled stuff that=20
> devel/subversion doesn't, then devel/svk can just depend on=20
> devel/subversion-perl, which can in turn depend on devel/subversion.

Yeah, and right after I wrote this e-mail I realized that there's
something fishy about this, because dependencies are not checked using
port names but using files in the FS; so devel/svk should realize
devel/subversion was built with perl bindings even if I did that by
myself.

I need more coffee I guess, this is not an issue if the ports work
properly. Sorry for the noise!

--Stijn

--=20
Beware of he who would deny you access to information. For in his heart
he thinks himself your master.
		-- Sid Meier, "Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri"

--oOB74oR0WcNeq9Zb

--oOB74oR0WcNeq9Zb--