Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 1997 11:30:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Jason McKay <jasonm@barney.webace.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: From WinNT to FreeBSD

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Jason McKay wrote:
> We are currently operating an ISP under Windows NT Server 4, and are
> seriously thinking about changing and running it under FreeBSD 2.2.2.

Good move :)

> There is only one thing holding us back, it is very important that we keep
> track of our users, such as login times and length of login plus how much
> they are downloading per call.

Tracking logins and login time is easy.

If they login directly using multiport boards,
last login_id
gives you a nice report suitable for awk or perling.

If you are using terminal servers and radius there are scripts available
to parse the radius log files.  See
	http://www.aros.net/util/
and
	http://www.livingston.com/Tech/Links/index.shtml

I'm sure tacacs has similar stuff if you use that.

For tracking transfer volume you'll have to ask another Aussie,
we don't have to worry about that here :)  We do track usage for
colo machines using tcpdump and perl scripts but I don't think
that would scale well to dialup numbers.

If you don't get any responses on the volume issue, repost to
isp@freebsd.org.  Lots of .au folks on that list.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com