Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 11:06:56 -0400
From:      Brian McGovern <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Maxmimum in-kernel data size in 3.0?

I'm running in to a really interesting problem here, and I'm hoping it might
not be what I think it is.

I'm building a 3.0-RELEASE kernel with several device drivers that carry their
own firmware (about 150-200K each) to be loaded at boot time. When I boot said
kernel (there are 4 drivers, so 600-800K of firmware), it double faults
right after the "changing root to wd0s1a" message, or, right about the time
interrupts get enabled.

If I go and remove any of the device drivers (thereby lowering the kernel
memory footprint), the problem goes away, and all is well.

So, my question is, should there be some type of limit to the kernel size (all
of the firmware images are global in scope to the driver, but declared static)?
Or am I just masking another problem by shuffling how the kernel loads things?
And, if there is a limit, what is it, so that I can monitor if/when we're going
to go over it?
	-Brian