Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:57:23 -0700
From:      "Mark Holloway" <mark@vegasstar.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD in DV Magazine

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BD66EC.77257360

Hi.  My name is Mark and I live in Las Vegas.  I was at Comp USA and was =
reading "DV Magazine".  It puts a focus on Digital Video, 3D Animation, =
and more.  There was an article written buy a guy who talked about =
having the power of Unix without the expense of a Sun or SGI system.  Of =
course, they were talking mainly about streaming Real video over the net =
(being a video mag) but they even went beyond that, comparing the power =
(and lack of) when using NT vs other OSs.  In the end, they said FreeBSD =
combined with Apache on a Pentium II / 266 makes for an extremely =
powerful web server!  I have to agree.  But most of all, I'm just glad =
to see FreeBSD getting such positive feedback from people who could so =
easily sellout to Linux.  Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not bashing =
Linux, but editors like winning brownie points from companies.. and when =
companies like ZDnet and mags like DV are saying that FReeBSD is the =
fastest, most reliable OS out there - that's a good thing! =20

I'm fairly new to the Unix-like environment.  I've always been a =
Microsoft user. But as I'm getting ready to enter the Network Admin =
field I want to be comfortable with Unix.  I know it won't happen over =
night, but I need to start sometime.  I thought Unix would eventually =
just go away, but it seems to be coming out strong again.  Rather than =
take sides and bash companies for their flaws, I'm focusing on how to =
setup and administor a stable network environment using both Unix and =
NT.  That's the future...not just one OS, but both.  NT is good for SQL =
server stuff, and FreeBSD is perfect everything else.=20

When I went to my local ISP to setup my server, I practically shit my =
pants!  I was only 1 of 2 machines running NT Server.  The other 17 were =
ALL running FreeBSD!  I think more people run it than you realize..  =
It's just one of those things that when its up and running withuot any =
problems, you don't feel like you have to run to all your peers and say =
"HAHA, my OS is better than your because of this this and this..".  =
Nope, you just sit back, relax, and think to yourself - now I have time =
to go to the gym, workout, go on vacation without stressing, etc....  =
That's the real difference!

Mark

PS - I went to Borders and picked up the Complete FreeBSD book, it's =
awesome!

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BD66EC.77257360

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Hi.&nbsp; My name is Mark and I live =
in Las=20
Vegas.&nbsp; I was at Comp USA and was reading &quot;DV =
Magazine&quot;.&nbsp; It=20
puts a focus on Digital Video, 3D Animation, and more.&nbsp; There was =
an=20
article written buy a guy who talked about having the power of Unix =
without the=20
expense of a Sun or SGI system.&nbsp; Of course, they were talking =
mainly about=20
streaming Real video over the net (being a video mag) but they even went =
beyond=20
that, comparing the power (and lack of) when using NT vs other =
OSs.&nbsp; In the=20
end, they said FreeBSD combined with Apache on a Pentium II / 266 makes =
for an=20
extremely powerful web server!&nbsp; I have to agree.&nbsp; But most of =
all, I'm=20
just glad to see FreeBSD getting such positive feedback from people who =
could so=20
easily sellout to Linux.&nbsp; Don't take me the wrong way, I'm not =
bashing=20
Linux, but editors like winning brownie points from companies.. and when =

companies like ZDnet and mags like DV are saying that FReeBSD is the =
fastest,=20
most reliable OS out there - that's a good thing!&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I'm fairly new to the Unix-like=20
environment.&nbsp; I've always been a Microsoft user. But as I'm getting =
ready=20
to enter the Network Admin field I want to be comfortable with =
Unix.&nbsp; I=20
know it won't happen over night, but I need to start sometime.&nbsp; I =
thought=20
Unix would eventually just go away, but it seems to be coming out strong =

again.&nbsp; Rather than take sides and bash companies for their flaws, =
I'm=20
focusing on how to setup and administor a stable network environment =
using both=20
Unix and NT.&nbsp; That's the future...not just one OS, but both.&nbsp; =
NT is=20
good for SQL server stuff, and FreeBSD is perfect everything=20
else.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>When I went to my local ISP to setup =
my server,=20
I practically shit my pants!&nbsp; I was only 1 of 2 machines running NT =

Server.&nbsp; The other 17 were ALL running FreeBSD!&nbsp; I think more =
people=20
run it than you realize..&nbsp; It's just one of those things that when =
its up=20
and running withuot any problems, you don't feel like you have to run to =
all=20
your peers and say &quot;HAHA, my OS is better than your because of this =
this=20
and this..&quot;.&nbsp; Nope, you just sit back, relax, and think to =
yourself -=20
now I have time to go to the gym, workout, go on vacation without =
stressing,=20
etc....&nbsp; That's the real difference!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Mark</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PS - I went to Borders and picked up the Complete =
FreeBSD=20
book, it's awesome!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0004_01BD66EC.77257360--