Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 12:07:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Angus Scott-Fleming <angussf@geoapps.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New install Not recognizing ed0

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Angus Scott-Fleming wrote:

> I have a new system, 486/80 w 24 MB  RAM, 3GB IDE hard drive on a
> separate controller card (not on the motherboard), unsupported Sanyo CD
> on its own controller card at 0x320, NE2000 clone at IRQ10/0x300 (& I
> don't have a diagram for the NE2000 clone so I can't change the 0x300
> easily).  I bought the 4-CD FreeBSD 3.1 set plus manual from
> ftp.cdrom.com.  Because the CD-ROM is unsupported, I've created a 250
> MB DOS partition and copied all of /BIN and /DOCS and some other stuff
> from the CD-ROM to the DOS partition.  I can boot just fine using
> floppies created from the CD, and I can run through the newbie install
> just fine.  I can change the NE2000-card to 0x300 during the initial
> install and it "takes" and recognizes it just fine during the install.
> However, once the install completes and it tells me to remove all
> floppies and reboot, it hangs hard - as in "reset-switch-time" - when
> it reaches "ed0", and it's trying to set "ed0" to the default of 0x280.
>  Occasionally I can get it to boot by preventing "autoboot" and typing
> "boot" at the initial prompt.  What am I doing wrong and how can I get
> this to work reliably?

This is a known bug in 3.1.  Read
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.1R/errata.html.  In the meantime, hit a
key at the kernel countdown and type 'boot -c' -- this will get you backto
the boot-time configuration so you can re-tweak your settings.  Then
follow the errata instructions and you should be good.

Doug White