Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 03 14:02:26  GMT
From:      devans@hclb.demon.co.uk (Dave Evans)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cdrom upgrade of existing installation, defining a swap part

In article <ZlwgwD.A.4M.bxBI-@hclb.demon.co.uk>
   Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com> writes:
> Le Friday 10 January 2003 20:46, John Baldwin a crit :
> [SNIP]
> > >
> > > I now want to install 5.0-DP2 on ad0s3e so that I can test it for a
> > > while. I have the cdrom and have created boot floppies. I've booted the
> > > floppy and selected "upgrade existing installation", but it won't let me
> > > define the current ad0s3b partition as swap in the disklabel editor. It
>
> one work-around is to delete the ad0s3b partition in sysinstall, then
> immediately create another swap partition, which uses the newly free space.
>
> 	TfH
I tried that, but when I deleted the ad0s3b partition it seemed to move
all the subsequent partitions down to fill the empty space. This is not good
on an existing installation. I already had some empty space at the end
of the slice and it seemed to coalesce with the newly freed empty space,
judging by the size of partition it was willing to create.