Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:57:32 +0900
From:      "R. Lahaye" <lahaye@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: scigraphica-0.7.0

Maxim Sobolev wrote:

> "R. Lahaye" wrote:
>
> > In a nutshell once again:
> >
> > I create a file  "/some/directory/ports-supfile",
> > add the above lines in it. Then call
> >
> >    # cvsup -L2 /some/directory/ports-supfile
> >
> > Is that 100 percent save?
>
> Yes, it is safe. This should not touch any source or system files - only update
> content of /usr/ports.

Thanks, I've done that. Woow, downloaded a whole lot of stuff.

I'm now pondering: If I install an updated port once again, does that
require any preparations to avoid cluttering of old installed files?

1) Can I provide a special argument for updating, such as "make update"
   or so, that would perform something like:
       # pkg_delete some_software-[present installed version]
       # make
       # make install // install updated version

   In linux-rpm-language that would say "rpm -U <updated_rpm_file.rmp>",
   which removes the old ones, and replaces that with the updated RPM.

2) If a newly updated software-port requires port_foo-1.5, but I have an older
   port_foo-1.1, then what will happen?
   Will I end up with both port_foo's installed, or does the make automagically
   remove the old one and install the new one on the fly.

I'm just worried that by doing all those make's when updating the ports, that I will
end up with more and more piles of cluttered files from outdated ports.

Please bear in mind that I'm a FreeBSD user for little over a week now (coming from
Linux). I'm still trying to figure out how FBSD software is organized.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate that very much!

Best regards,
Rob.