Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 23:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Easy way to upgrade ports?

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Greg Lehey wrote:

> I've just installed a new machine, and have vowed not to carry over my
> old, crufty ports, but to install the latest versions instead.  But
> how do I find out which ones I need?  I can use pkg_info to tell me
> the names of the currently installed ports, but that doesn't even tell
> me which directory they came from, let alone what the name of the
> current port is.  Have I missed something, or is this something we
> need to look at?

Packages don't record the port they came from, because packages don't have
to be installed from a port. However you'll find that most of them have
the same "base name" in the port as in the package: doing "echo
/usr/ports/*/foo" to find out which directory the foo-1.0 package lives in
will usually work.

To find out which packages you have installed which may need upgrading,
the pkg_version utility may be useful.

You could also look on an old FreeBSD CD and find out which directory the
package lives in - the directory structure mirrors the layout of the ports
tree they were built from.

Kris

----