Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 2002 22:57:53 -0500
From:      "Ben Pfountz" <netprince@vt.edu>
To:        "Chatchawan Wongsiriprasert" <cws-freebsd-stable@hotel-accommodation.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Start deamon by cron

I think I recall a similar situation.  I wrote a sort of soft shutdown
command I used to stop all daemons before running a backup, then after the
backup start them up again.  Before I found the code below in /etc/rc, I
would get zombie processes for some daemons that do not daemonize correctly:

#!/bin/sh
(set -T
trap 'exit 1' 2
daemon_startup_command)

where 'daemon_startup_command' is your daemon to start.

hope this helps