Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 19:55:59 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up: static -ification

> I'm just about to commit a change that staticize close to everything that
> can be staticized and doesn't look unreasonable to staticize (almost 400
> variables and functions).
>
> If anybody get problems with undefined symbols in some way, then please
> yell at me.
>
> GENERIC and LINT compiles and links as usual.

Remember that functions and variables are exported interfaces in
many cases.  This includes user space uses for "ps", "w", "netstat",
and so on, as well as kernel space uses.

For a potential kernel environment, you should be careful to not
disallow dynamic replacement of kernel pieces using "generic"
loadable modules (ie: if something is a function pointer, it
should not be static'ed, unless there is an encapsulation function
that can be used to modify its value, and then the encapsulation
function should not be static).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---