Date:      Mon, 23 May 2005 14:26:42 -0700
From:      "Darren Pilgrim" <dmp@bitfreak.org>
To:        "'Josef Karthauser'" <joe@FreeBSD.org>, <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: iwi driver: Probes but no association (FreeBSD5.4).

From: Josef Karthauser
> I'm trying to get the iwi driver working on my sony A290 laptop.  It's
> got a BG2200 chipset in it and the driver probes and finds
> the adapter, but it doesn't appear to work.

<...>
> iwi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect
>         status: no carrier
>         ssid tao 1:tao

The interface isn't in the UP state.  At least with the iwi driver, the NIC
won't associate to the AP until the interface is brought up.  Usually this
is done the first time something tries to send a packet (typically
dhclient).  You can also make it associate by giving the "up" parameter to
ifconfig.