Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:22:01 -0800
From:      "David Daugherty" <davidd@cc.wwu.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IP Aliasing and routing

I have a pentium 200 box I'm trying to set up as a router to my cable modem
so I can give all of the computers on my network internet access. I've
installed FreeBSD 3.3 and I have 2 NIC's installed which are both LinkSys
10/100TX.

I have no problems getting the router box to talk to the cable modem and the
rest of the world. The problem I'm having is that I can't get the inside NIC
to talk to my private 192.168.x.x network. I can ping the the NIC
192.168.1.1 but I can't get it to resolve anything on the rest of my
intranet. I also can not ping back to the router box from any of the
internal computers. I've checked, re-checked and double checked all of my
hardware and have found no problems. Can anyone please guide me in the
direction I should be looking/configuring? I'm completely out of ideas.

My rc.conf looks like:
ifconfig_pn0="inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0"
ifconfig_pn1="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
hostname="CXXXXXXX-x.mycabledomain.wa.home.com"
linux_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
saver="star"
gateway_enable="YES"
defaultrouter="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"         #same IP as pn0
#router="routed"                                #these are lines I've tried
including
#router_enable="YES"
#routed_enable="YES"
network_interfaces="pn0 pn1 lo0"
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="pn0"                         #i've tried putting both pn1
and pn0 here with no luck
#natd_flags="-unregistered-only"
firewall_type="open"                         #since my firewall will be very
porous once it works I'm giving xxx as my IP
#arpproxy_all=""

In my kernel config file I have:
#set firewall settings
options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #print info about dropped packets
options         "IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE_LIMIT=100" #limit verbosity
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT    #allow everything
options         IPDIVERT                #divert sockets

and right now my netstat looks like:
Destination              Gateway            Flags          Refs          Use
Netif Expire
default                     xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  UGSc        3               2
pn0
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/24  link#1                 UC            0               0
pn0
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx       0:c0:49:13:db:bb UHLW      4               0
pn0    580
localhost                  localhost             UH            0
3             lo0
192.168.1               link#2                 UC            0
0             pn1
CXXXXXXX-x     0:a0:cc:28:81:a0  UHLW      0               0             lo0
192.168.1.88         link#2                  UHLW      0               3
pn1

192.168.1.88 is a machine in my intranet which I can not ping. Again, I also
can not ping from .88 to .1. Can someone please tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any help thrown my way.

David
davidd@cc.wwu.edu
Washington State Resident
ICQ 21106703