Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 22:37:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Strait <basilisk@umail.ucsb.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        basilisk@umail.ucsb.edu
Subject:   DHCP going nuts?

Note: Please reply/cc to author as I am not a subscribed member of this list.
------

I'm having a problem with my dhclient, or, for the most part, setting up my internet numbers.  The problem follows an unusual pattern.

Using a windows box (gag) I tested my ethernet line to make sure it's good.  Sure enough, it was good.  Due to the room I am in, I always get the same IP address (I tried this over a couple of days to make sure), as the addresses are divided out by room number here.

Ok, so cut to the chase!:
My number is xxx.yyy.zzz.173
On FreeBSD, my dhclient gets this address:
xxx.yyy.zzz.172

(The same address but with a decrementation of the last number).  I did check the gateways and the routers, and they are the same for both the windows system and the FreeBSD, so I think they are OK, but the address *I* was assigned was different by a value of 1.

I didn't have this problem last year so I suspect someone in networking was messing around with the equipment.

Other than keep yelling at my networking dept., does anyone have any solid advice about what I can do?  Even if you don't have any advice, a hypothesis of what is wrong is valued.  Thanks.

(fyi, if it helps, I'm running FreeBSD-4.3 REL)