Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2007 14:00:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Ambrisko <ambrisko@ambrisko.com>
To:        "Constantine A. Murenin" <cnst@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Rui Paulo <rpaulo@fnop.net>, Shteryana Shopova <syrinx@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Porting OpenBSD's sysctl hw.sensors framework to FreeBSD (was: Re: PERFORCE change 123040 for review)

Constantine A. Murenin writes:
| On 10/07/2007 14:33, Doug Ambrisko wrote:
| >There are so many different flavours of HW monitoring chips
| > and several tools that can read them live in ports.  Lots of them are
| > slightly different, intefaces can be i2c or direct I/O.
|
| Please, enlighten me which of these several tools were updated in the
| last few years. Most hardware monitoring tools in the ports tree are
| outdated and no longer being maintained: xmbmon, healthd, lmmon,
| consolehm, wmhm etc. Several of these have a last-modified date of 2000,
| that's 7 years ago!

Being in the kernel means they get updated?  It's so trivial to
write this stuff that I've put it in various embedded appliances.
There are so many different chips why bother trying to support them
all when there is little bang for effort and it add's kernel bloat.

| Please note that this framework is not limited to monitoring temperature
| and fan speed sensors -- it also allows one to monitor raid array status
| and a few other things.
|
| Moreover, in OpenBSD and NetBSD these kinds of in-kernel frameworks are
| used to display ipmi(4) sensors, too.

Which is probably a mistake IMHO but atleast has a common interface.
Note that talking to IPMI controllers can be rather expensive.  Users
have to be careful with things talking to IPMI when updating firmware.
There are more firmware upgrade tools that use the OpenIPMI interface
so they just work with the driver.

| Monitoring of remote machines with this framework is also possible --
| with symon from ports.  Querying local machines is as easy as running
| sysctl or systat, and alerts can be generated through sensorsd.

It's trivial to do in other ways as well.

Personally, I don't care if someone does it as a project.  Personally,
I'd recommend it done as a library that has a kernel front end and
user land interface.  To clarify it could be built as a kernel module
or user land tool.  Then you have the best of both worlds.  This would
be trivial to do.  I've done something similar with something else.

Doug A.