Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:37:10 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some observations on stream.c and streamnt.c

Brett Glass wrote:

> At 02:18 PM 1/21/2000 , Gene Harris wrote:
>
> >After eight hours of testing, in which I have been
> >bombarding the NT 4.0 SP6a Server, the CPU usage on an
> >unloaded machine jumped to 27%.  However, when I started up
> >Oracle 8.05 and ran a rather lengthy query against a 400MB
> >database, no distinguishable differences exist in the query
> >time between a machine under attack and one not under
> >attack.
>
> A poor test, IMHO. It's disk-intensive and CPU-intensive,
> but not network-intensive. Also, other conditions can
> affect the results. Were the machines on a network with
> a live gateway router? Remember, traffic to, from, and
> through the router is significant, since one of the
> effects of the exploit is to cause a storm of packets
> on the local LAN.
>
> I've made an NT/IIS server virtually inaccessible using
> the same exploit.

We have NT 4.0 Server (SP4) running on a P5/200 here, 128 MB RAM, EEPro
10/100.  On a 100Base-TX HDX isolated LAN, hitting it with the packets/
second set to 1000 resulted in poor system performance; changing that to
10.000 resulted in the machine almost immediately crashing all the way
to the BIOS boot.