Date:      Fri, 16 Apr 1999 15:14:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Dave Smith <dsmith@n2.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Layer 4 Switch,

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Dave Smith wrote:

> With most layer 4 switches I believe you get load balancing amongst a
> group of machines.  Then if one goes down, the load gets transfered to
> the other machines in the group.
>
> Has anyone thought about this type of an application?  I know that it
> would really put FreeBSD on the map if this was available for free.

This kind of program would be very easy to write (it would be better if it
was part of ipfw, but that's more difficult.)

The program need only pick a random machine from the array, open a socket,
if that socket opens, send data, if not, try another random (or go to the
next one), etc etc

Of course all code is easy in an e-mail.

- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -