Date:      Sun, 14 Apr 1996 22:09:27 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: plan statically linked?

>Does anyone know where I can ftp a version of plan 1.5 statically
>linked for Motif?  I don't have Motif, so I can't compile it myself,
>and I'd rather not run the linux version under emulation.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>--Darrel
>dherbst@gradient.cis.upenn.edu

OK, I made a statically linked port out of plan-1.5.  You can
grab it from:

  ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/plan-1.5-static.tgz

Just use pkg_add on it, and it'll install everything under /usr/local/plan
with the man files in /usr/local/man/...

The port and my porting notes are in:

  ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/plan-1.5-port.tar.gz

I didn't know where everything should be installed; the defaults
didn't seem to conform to FreeBSD installations.  There were some
example holiday files, documents, scripts, and more than one executable.
So I put them in /usr/local/plan/(bin,lib,docs,misc,examples).  I
need a little port guidance here...

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

What is plan?
-------------

Plan is a schedule planner based on X/Motif. It displays a month calendar
similar to xcal, but every day box is large enough to show appointments in
small print. By pressing on a day box, the appointments for that day can be
listed and edited. Appointments are entered with the following information
(everything except the time is optional):

- the date, time, and length of the appointment
- an optional text message to be printed,
- an optional script to be executed,
- early-warn and late-warn triggers that precede the alarm time
- repetitions: [n-th] weekdays, days-of-the-month, every n days, yearly
- optional fast command-line appointment entry
- flexible ways to specify holidays and vacations
- extensive context help
- multiuser capability using an IP server program

The action being taken when a warn or alarm time is reached is programmable;
by default a window pops up. In addition, a program can be executed, or mail
can be sent. Other methods of listing appointments (today, this week, next
week, or a keyword search for regular expressions) are also available. Plan
can be configured to display times in 12-hour or 24-hour formats, mmddyy and
ddmmyy date formats, and can show either Monday or Sunday in the leftmost
column. Three view modes are supported: one month, one year, one week, and
a 365-day vacation planner. The week and vacation view plots appointments as
colored and labelled bars in, and allows other users' appointments to be
included.

[...]

---------

plan is Copyrighted by Thomas Driemeyer, 1993-1996. License to copy,
publish, and distribute is granted to everyone provided that three
conditions are met:

- my name and email address, "Thomas Driemeyer <thomas@bitrot.in-
  berlin.de>" must remain in the distribution and any documentation
  that was not part of this distribution. In particular, my name
  and address must be shown in the About popup.
- if you redistribute a modified version, the fact that the version
  is modified must be stated in all places that my name is shown.
- this copyright notice must be included in your distribution.

If these conditions are met, you can do whatever you like. The
idea is that I would be pissed if someone else claimed he wrote the
thing, and I don't want bugs introduced by others attributed to me.
Make as much money with it as you can. Drop me a line, I am curious.

There are no implied or expressed warranties for plan. I do not
claim it is good for anything whatsoever, and if you lose your
precious data or your dog dies this is entirely your problem.