Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:56:37 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.3 and 6G RAM

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:39:52AM +0200, Marek Gorka wrote:
> (with the following problem i've addressed the comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
> group at first, but actually there was no practical solution nor suggestion
> given; hope i'll find it here)
>
> -----
>
> hello,
>
> i have an intel 4400 platform equipped with 4 xeon processors and 6G ram.
> the mainboard is based on the ServerWorks ServerSet II HE chipset (by
> intel), which supports up to 16G RAM (or 32G, i'm not sure at the moment).
>
> i have installed FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE.
>
> unfortunately, the system seems unable to work with this amount of ram.

FreeBSD does not support more than 4G RAM  (at least not on x86, I
don't know about Alpha).
My suggestion would be to remove the extra 2G RAM from the machine and
see if things work better then.  (FreeBSD will not be able to use it
anyway so you don't lose anything by removing it.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson