Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 2002 00:02:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>, John Prince <johnp@lodgenet.com>
Subject:   Re: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> One thing that you are missing here is that the majority of people
> that are running STABLE code are not installing brand-new systems
> from CD ISO images.

Hmm, interesting I had a hard disk blowout between 4.6RC (on -STABLE)
and 4.6 Release.  Having the usual chicken & egg problem on this
floppyless machine I had to do a quick install of 4.5 to download the
4.6-mini iso and burn it onto a CD, then wiping, putting down the final
partitions and installing 4.6.  Earlier 4.5 installed fine, but 4.6
panicked partway through the install (extracting bin?).  I didn't think
anything of it, just assumed the CD was faulty and installed off the net
instead.  That was using a Freecom cheapo IDE CDRW (8x4x24?) from this
January.

> For a substantial proportion of people that run FreeBSD, the new
> stuff comes in the form of full releases on CDROM.  (which accounts
> to a great extent for why so many people were asking "where's 4.6"
> recently after the release date slipped a couple of times.)
>
> It seems to me that the majority of people who recently encountered
> at least the CDROM problems were doing first-time installs from CD.

That's it.  Mine didn't work.  It is very unusual for me to install off
a CD, but on this one time it crapped out once it started to do big bulk
data transfers for the main extraction.  I don't think I'd have ever
noticed were it not for this thread.

Does this mean there are likely to be problems burning CD-R discs with
burncd?  Its just I thought I had a bad batch of CDs, what with
virtually all the CDs I made after a couple of months ago while tracking
4.5-STABLE being no good.

Regards,
Bill.

--
W. Palfreman. 		http://www.palfreman.com/william/
Tel: 0771 355 0354	PGP ftp://ftp.palfreman.com/pub/wfpkey.asc