Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 22:11:06 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   UPDATE: ATA/ATAPI driver new version available.

First update to the new ATA/ATAPI driver:

Added driver to support ATAPI floppies ie LS-120 & ZIP drives.
I'm not too sure of this 2 hour job, I cannot get writeprotect
disabled on the only ZIP medium I just got, but I can read the
disk. Reports are welcome on LS-120 drives too, they are very
hard to come by here, apparently rare items.

Added "options ATA_STATIC_ID" that wires ATA disks like the old wd driver.
That should shut up the complainers for now :)

Fixed problems:

    Dont use more sectors/intr than the drive supports.
	This hanged a couble of systems with older disks.

    Fix announce of > 8.4G disks.
	More or less cosmetics, but it was forgotten.

    Dont call ad_interrupt/ad_transfer when no disks config'd.
	If only ATAPI devices config'd the kernel can now link.

    Use the right page# for CDR write mode params.
	This prevented the burner support from working, its now
	as functional as under the old system.

    Implement DEVFS stuff.
	Well....

    Fixed breakage when no PCI support in kernel.
	It was not possible to make a kernel with ata but no PCI.

There has also been a lot of general code clenaups, it should be more
readable now.

As usual USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!, this is still pre alpha level code.

But please tell me how it works for you!

Enjoy!

-Søren