Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:28:19 -0700
From:      "R.P. Aditya" <aditya@grot.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfilter resync on pccard_ether insertions?

Hi,

AFAIK, any time a new interface is added, ipfilter needs to be "resynced" with
an "ipf -y":

       -y     Manually resync the in-kernel interface list  main-
              tained by IP Filter with the current interface sta-
              tus list.

to facilitate this for pccard interfaces, I made some local changes to
/etc/defaults/rc.conf and /etc/pccard_ether; do these changes look reasonable?
Can someone recommend a better approach? (My ipf.rules protect the entire box
regardless of interface so it seems to work fine) If not, any objections to
commiting this?:

diff -r1.1 /etc/defaults/rc.conf
62c62
< ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf -Fa -f"
---
> ipfilter_program="/sbin/ipf"
67c67
< ipfilter_flags="-E"           # should be *empty* when ipf is _not_ a module
---
> ipfilter_flags=" -Fa -f"      # should be *empty* when ipf is _not_ a module

and:

diff -r1.1 /etc/pccard_ether
9a10,15
> if [ -x /usr/bin/logger ]; then
>       LOGGER="/usr/bin/logger -s -p user.notice -t pccard_ether"
> else
>       LOGGER=echo
> fi

29a36,45

>               #resync ipf if we bring up a new interface
>               if /sbin/ipfstat -i > /dev/null 2>&1; then
>                       case "${ipfilter_enable}" in
>                       [Yy][Ee][Ss])
>                               ${ipfilter_program:-/sbin/ipf} -y
>                               $LOGGER "Resyncing ipf to use new interface"
>                       ;;
>                       esac
>               fi
31c47
<               echo "${dhcp_program}: DHCP client software not available"
---
>               $LOGGER "${dhcp_program}: DHCP client software not available"

Thanks,
Adi