Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:15:51 -0500
From:      "Mike Grommet" <mgrommet@insolwwb.net>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Installation bugs 3.0BETA 10-09??? We need a can of RAID :)

Hi.  running into some interesting problems trying to install
3.0 Beta, 10-09 release.

A bit about the hardware in this machine...
Pent II 350, Intel BX Chipset
DPT Raid Controller (DPT PM3334UW)
128 Megs of ram, etc etc.

I go in and dedicate a partition to freebsd...
I then break the partition up into these chunks:

256 Megs      /
512 Megs      SWAP
1000 Megs    /var
3200 Megs    /usr/local
2400 Megs    /usr

basically all goes as normal until it tries to newfs the partitions...

when it tries to newfs the first slice ( / filesystem)

Debug reports "DEBUG: unknown major/minor for devtype -"
it dies with a message on the debug console where it gives "Cross device
link" error in newfs  and then a rewrite label error.

Install gives me an error message and then puts me back to the main install
menu where I go through the procedure again.

Now get this:  The second time I go through all this, and the newfs takes
place again,
and while I get the "unknown major/minor for devtype" messages,
the newfs works without any problems at all..

I just wanted to make sure you guys knew of this situation before the
release date.

Mike Grommet
System Admin, and all around nice guy
Internet Solutions, Inc.