Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 07:39:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mpeg4 under FreeBSD p2

I have tried some mpeg4/divx playing on a P-III/800 MHz, 128 MB ram,
NVidia Geforce2. FreeBSD 4.2 + XFree v4.0.2, And here are some results:

It turns out that 'top' idle is not going below 45% at any single instance.
Thus P-III 440 MHz should be enough?
Resizing the movie screen does not affect the cpu load any significantly.

Switching to 32 bpp, and renice'ing the avifile process seems to help avoiding
involuntary "pauses".

FreeBSD avifile can be found at (which I got mailed to me):
  http://www.ludd.luth.se/~pb/avifile-0.53.1_2.tgz

The freebsd version has a tendency to "segmentation fault" to often. So I tried
the linux player. And that seems to work more reliable.

Anyone knows how much influence the graphics card acceleration has on the cpu
load?

           /Peter