Date:      Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:31:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <ler@lerctr.org>
Subject:   Re: New Laptop: i810: HELP

[saw this thread while searching usenet; I don't subscribe to the list]

I had exactly the same problem with NetBSD on a new HP Omnibook XE3.

The problem is caused by a limitation in the x86emu code which emulates a
real-mode 8086 in order for XF4 to execute the Int10/Vesa bios code on
non-x86 platforms (and non-linux x86 platforms too, i.e. *BSD).

Trouble is, some bioses are getting cute in that they occasionally use
addressing modes which only exist on higher-end x86 cpus.

The "c000:01a2: 62 ILLEGAL X86 OPCODE!" is the result if the emulated cpu
jumping off into oblivion due to the emulator incorrectly executing one of
those newer instructions.

Fortunately, I have a patch for x86emu which fixes this problem which I
will post when I get home this evening. :-)

[It has already been submitted to the XFree86 folks]

FWIW, Linux doesn't suffer from these problems because XF4 on Linux uses
vm86 instead of the emulator...

Cheers, Steve