Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 15:20:31 -0500
From:      Ken Mason <KMASON@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:    Re: Installing FreeBSD on a machine with 2 hardrives -Reply

Thanks for the reply.  I had jumpered the second drive to slave mode.
The release of FreeBSD that I was attempting to install was 2.1.0.  I have
since downloaded 2.1.5 and which seems to recognize both hard drives
without any problem.  However, I am now encountering a different
problem.  I am able to do the initial configuration (including labeling and
partitioning both hard drives), however I am having trouble getting
beyond this point.  When I do a Commit, some initial FreeBSD does some
set up and comes up with a message "Starting Emergency Holographic
Shell" and then asks for the next floppy.  I insert the /bin/bin.aa-ae floppy
and then get another Emergency Holographic Shell message followed by
the message "Couldn't extract the following distributions. This may be
because they were not available on the installation media you've chose:
bin doc manpages dict".

Any suggestions as to how to get around this? Thanks.

On Tue, 5 Nov 1996, Ken Mason wrote:

> I have an old AT&T 6386/SX machine that I have been running FreeBSD
> 2.1 on for several months.  The machine originally had one 80 meg hard
> drive (Quantum ProDrive).  I have installed a second hard drive ( 120
meg
> Maxtor) and have reformatted the original hard drive back to dos.
>  > The machine boots to dos without any problems and both hard
drives are
> usable.

Check so far.

> I am now attempting to re-install (from floppies) FreeBSD 2.1.
However,
> the presence of the second hard drive seems to causing grief during
the
> installation.  The installation finds the original disk controller (wdc0, irq
> 14) and 80 meg hard drive (wd0) however it does not appear to find
the
> second hard drive.  Eventually, the install hangs with a blank screen
> following the message "/stand/sysinstall running as init".  At this point,
> power off/on is required to restart the computer.

Ack.  Did you jumper the second drive to slave mode?

Doug White                              | University of Oregon   Internet:
dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant