Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:50:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        joe ferguson <jferg@2boot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Hans Huebner <hans@artcom.de>
Subject:   Re: Does this deserve send-pr?

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, joe ferguson wrote:

> I have to agree with Hans.  If there is a user command which can
> crash the kernel, it is a gross security violation as well as
> a violation of Unix philosophy.  I've had enough such problems
> with popular desktop operating systems!

However, Joe Bloe User can't run this, only the sysadmin can. It's assumed
the sysadmin knows what they're doing, otherwise they wouldn't be the
sysadmin. :)  The mount syscall is one of the more powerful (and
dangerous) commands in the system -- use with care.

If he had mounted a CD with just device nodes on /dev, it would have
worked, actually.  A decent idea when trying to unspam a system.  Or when
adding DEVFS.