Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 06:30:02 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Site Runs Unix

William writes:

> The "premier support manager" manages a team
> of "Technical Account Managers".

Yes, I know.

> These TAM's are the people that you actually
> talk to about your "Premier" support problems.

They provide the sales and logistic interface for Premier contracts; but
they don't actually provide technical support themselves (although they are
almost invariably qualified to do so, as they tend to be hired from the
ranks of regular technical support technicians).

> If you look at the job requirements for the
> Technical Account Manager on the same page,
> there is no mention of a need for any sort
> of university degree.  That means high-school (or
> a GED or perhaps nothing at all) is good enough.

Correct.  Microsoft has never been very interested in credentials; the
company tests prospective employees carefully with some thinly disguised IQ
tests, and uses intelligence as a key hiring criterion.  Smart people are
hired; stupid people are not.  And degrees and diplomas are largely ignored.

> So hopefully you'll understand that I find
> your claims difficult to believe.

The problems you experienced are not due to any lack of qualification on the
part of technical-support personnel; they are due to a total lack of
internal documentation for the products being supported.  Technical support
at Microsoft, as at many other software vendors, is based on a
trial-and-error, shotgun approach to problem identification and resolution,
because none of Microsoft's products has ever been adequately documented,
even internally, and so nobody really knows how they work except the
developers, and even the developers know very little beyond the modules they
personally maintain.

In other words, technical support fails because it is not given the
information to do the job, not because the technical-support people lack any
qualifications.  Unfortunately, this sort of situation is not at all unique
to Microsoft; it is the norm, rather than the exception, in IT.

> On FreeBSD on the other hand, I've found little
> nitpicky bugs here and there, and generally had
> prompt resolution once I actually got someone
> to look at the PR. *wink wink*

The people looking at the PR were probably people who also wrote or
maintained the relevant code.  At Microsoft and other large, commercial
software vendors, the chances of the developer of any code actually looking
at technical-support issues for that code are almost nil.  Developers are
kept busy writing code, not supporting it, in part because this is more
cost-effective, and in part because developers who are forced to document or
support their code often quit.