Date:      Tue, 16 Feb 1999 18:04:13 +1100 (EST)
From:      Keith Anderson <keith@apcs.com.au>
To:        John Saunders <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Radius bug ?

Hi John

I may have to hack the source.
I have made a compleat ISP accounting software, but it still uses the 'users'
file for perm ip's and hourly time limits.

Thanks for your help

Keith

On 16-Feb-99 John Saunders wrote:
> In nlc.lists.freebsd-questions you wrote:
>> I have just started using the FreeBSD Radius port and found a problem.
>> In my system every 15 minute a new 'users' file is created for radius.
>> To get (radiusd-cistron-1.5.4.3) to read the new file I have to kill radiusd
>> and
>> start it up again.
>> Is there any way around this problem ?
>
> Hi Keith,
>
> As far as I know any radius server derived from the original Livingston
> code needs to be restarted to load a new users file.
>
> I use radwatch on my system which will automatically restart the radius
> server if it dies. You may want to try using that (with a shorter delay
> before restarting radiusd) so that you may simply "killall radiusd" to
> effect the reload. There will be a short downtime, but the radius clients
> should retry a number of times anyway.
>
> When you authenticate from the system password file you hardly ever
> need to reload the users file.
>
> Cheers.
> --            +------------------------------------------------------------+
>         .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
>     ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
>    /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 04-1822-3814      (Phone) |
>    \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
>          v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |

---

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed FreeBSD."

E-Mail: Keith Anderson <keith@apcs.com.au>
Date: 16-Feb-99
Time: 17:58:32
Satelite Service 64K to 2Meg