Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 1998 09:42:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        Hans Huebner <hans@artcom.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD HA configuration / Ethernet address takeover

a combination of MX records (DNS), proper NIS slave servers and DNS
secondaries should take care of your problem.  Afaik, the MAC level
address is burnt into the card.

there is also a way of using DNS to round robin IP addresses, i _think_
you can define multiple PTR records and if one IP "times out" the resolver
library tries the next IP in the list of PTRs.  I've only heard of this,
you'd have to look into the implementation.

All the services you talk about offer thier own versions of redundancy,
you need to read more about the features offered by DNS and NIS and thier
slave system capabilities.

-Alfred