Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 13:55:46 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        dlhodge@netcom.com, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please Help. Attempting to load freebsd v2.1 on DeskPro XL 575

> } see it as a plain PCnet-PCI chip. It'll probably probe as a PCnet-VL
> } chip though because of a known problem in the lance probe code for
> } PCI (yes, I'll look at this soon :-)
>
> This would be fine. It has become a FAQ ...
> I've looked into the Lance driver, and found that there
> are MANY references to the isa device data structure.
> But  then, you can easily malloc one from the PCI probe
> code ... :)

Not surprising, it's an ISA driver :-)

> Yes, there have been some success reports. The situation
> is not that bad, as all that is required is to enter the
> port address and irq into the boot config tool. But the
> bad thing is, that the IRQ will not be printed in the PCI
> probe message for an "unknown" device. Have considered to
> change this... Hmmm, guess I will do it!

All that's needed is to get the IRQ and port from the PCI code but I've
been delaying fixing this because I don't really want to hack a specific
fix into lnc0 for what is a generic problem i.e. many devices have a core
set of code that works across a chipset family and needs different glue
code to hook it into different buses (or even different architectures when
we go down that road since the core lance code would be the same on a Sun
platform).

It needs some re-architecting though all through the device driver
sub-system.

--
  Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 1225 447500 (work)