Date:      Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:59:18 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@savvis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-bluetooth@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Palm sync over bluetooth?

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> Eric,
>
> [...]
>>>

>>> does rfcomm_sppd(1) work for you?
>>

>> Well, not really.  rfcomm_sppd requires that the palm be the server of
>> the serial port service (if I understand correctly, and I may not!),
>> which means I would have to hit the sync button, then quickly start
>> rfcomm_sppd with the correct channel number (which I don't know), and
>> then start my sync right after that.  I have not been able to get this
>> trickery to work.  Even so, if I did get it working, I'm not sure this
>> is the best solution.
>

> what palm model do you have? is it possible to simple turn on bluetooth
> without doing anything on palm? if so, then could you please run

Tungsten T5
Bluetooth is on, but with the palm powered off, obviously nothing will
happen.  With it on, only slightly more than nothing happens.  See below.

> % sdpcontrol -a palm_bd_addr browse
>
> and/or
>
> % sdpcontrol -a palm_bd_addr search SP
>
> if you palm has serial port (SP) service then you should be able to just
> connect to it without hitting sync button first.

Palm off:
[ 15:43:10 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm browse
Could not execute command "browse". Host is down
[ 15:43:23 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm search SP
Could not execute command "search". Host is down

Palm on, doing nothing:
[ 15:43:40 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm browse
(beep beep beep on palm, says "connecting")
[ 15:43:46 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm search SP
Could not execute command "search". Host is down
[ 15:44:06 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm browse
[ 15:44:19 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm search SP
[ 15:44:22 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm browse

Palm on, trying to hotsync:
(says 'connecting' after hotsync press)
[ 15:46:40 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm browse
[ 15:46:47 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm search SP
[ 15:46:49 root@neutrino ~ ]# sdpcontrol -a epa-palm browse
[ 15:46:52 root@neutrino ~ ]#

> it is also trivial to extend rfcomm_sppd(1) to make it work as server.
> you could use either nmdm(4) or pty(4) to emulate serial port. i could
> put it on my to do list, but i need to know how palm expects this to
> work (sorry never owned a palm :)

That would be pretty nifty probably.

> [...]
>>>

>>> 1) check 'default' section in your /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and make sure it
>>> only contains commands that applied to _all_ other sections in your
>>> ppp.conf file. i always have 'default' section empty and move all the
>>> commands to the appropriate section.
>>

>> I've removed everything in the default section, with no changes (I
>> barely had anything in it).
>

> good. do you have a dropdown box on your palm that specifies remote
> system access type, i.e. something like PPP (unix), RAS (microsoft) or
> something like this? i recall that earlier versions of palm had such
> dropdown box. you need to use "PPP (unix)".
>
> you might want to try to add something like
>
>     enable force-scripts
>     set dial "CLIENT CLIENTSERVER"
>
> to your bluetooth section in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf. this should make ppp
> compatible with microsoft RAS style clients :)

I'll try this out tonight.

>>> 2) add 'set log all' to the 'bluetooth' section. then try again. now
>>> /var/log/ppp.log should have tons of information that will tell you
>>> what is going all.
>>

>> Done - now I have lots more logged info I don't understand. :)
>

> could you post it somewhere?

Sure - I'll post it tonight for you.

>>> 3) since you are _not_ using ppp authentication make sure your palm
>>> does not require one
>>

>> Pretty sure it doesn't - no place to put in the info, and I connect up
>> to my cellphone over bluetooth for surfing, etc using a similar method.
>

> do you mean you connect your palm to your cellphone?

Yea, I mean my palm connects to cellphone.  Actually, I can also connect
using my laptop through my cellphone over bluetooth to get internet also.

>> Any more ideas?  What should I be looking for in the ppp logs?  I did
>> see this though:
>>
>> Aug  1 14:38:02 neutrino ppp[17496]: tun0: Phase: deflink: closed ->
>> opening
>> Aug  1 14:38:02 neutrino ppp[17496]: tun0: Debug: deflink: Link is
>> SOCK_STREAM, but not inet
>> Aug  1 14:38:02 neutrino ppp[17496]: tun0: Debug: deflink: stdin is
>> unidentified
>

> those are fine (i think). i'd like to see full log. i suspect there is
> something is wrong at ppp level. you also might want to run hcidump
> (from ports comms/hcidump) as root
>
> # hcidump -w palm.dump -- it will block
>
> then try to connect. then terminate hcidump with ^c and send me the
> palm.dump file. also what is the freebsd version?

-current (7.0).

I'll try to get you more info tonight.

Eric