Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:24:36 +0100 (IST)
From:      Nick Hilliard <nick@iol.ie>
To:        bford@uop.cs.uop.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3C597 fast ethernet support

> I've got a 100Mbit 3COM EISA ethernet interface.  Here are the particulars:
>
> vx0: <3Com 3C597-TX Network Adapter> at 0x5000-0x501f, 0x5c80-0x5c89
> vx0: irq 12 (edge) on eisa0 slot 5
>
> I've been running it for a while now at 10Mbit.  From what I can gather, the
> vx driver doesn't support fast ethernet.  I'd be happy to lend the card to
> anyone interested

The vx driver supports FE speeds, just not very well.  The problem is caused
by the fact that the vx driver uses the 3com programmed I/O mechanism for
talking to the nic, and this protocol is just not up to dealing with 100mbit
speeds because its 4-byte buffer is far too small to handle large amounts of
data very quickly.

Its been some while since I've used the vx driver myself, but I remember
being pretty disappointed by the speed of it.

There's more about this in http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/3Com/.

Nick