Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:00:58 +0200
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Releases

--=.UTa2ffq5nckG'+

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:33:23 -0400
"Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org> wrote:

DL> Well, the branch makes a good deal of sense.  It stops beta from
DL> getting out to the people who track -stable and allows changes to be

	As a regular -stable tracker who does understand what the tags mean
I *want* the BETA and RC stages in -stable. The current setup is fine
IMHO.

	If I were a commiter I would *not* want the extra branch to deal with.

	Some people seem to have run off with the idea the -STABLE sits almost
unchanged until -BETA and then all the MFCs happen. Nothing could be
further
from the truth, the -BETA and -RC names are symptoms of a code *freeze*
and
the rate of change *drops* a *lot*, just after -RELEASE is the potentially
dodgy time when a bunch of stuff backed up against the code freeze gets
put
through - I have always been amazed that this causes so little disruption,
a real credit to the commiters that.

--
Optimal hardware acceleration for Windows PC (Mac).
   9.81 m/s/s applied for (at least) 2s followed by impact with solid

--=.UTa2ffq5nckG'+

--=.UTa2ffq5nckG'+--