Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:51:56 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        niklas@registrar.no
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 and maxproc exceeded

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 11:49:50AM +0100, niklas@registrar.no wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to dig up a problem. A server I have running 201 jails with a
> total of ~2200 processes gets about every five minutes:
>=20
> "maxproc limit exceeded by uid 2, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5)"
>=20
> First of all, uid 2 has only a few sendmail processes running (postfix
> alias for sendmail) Second of all, I've upped both kern.maxproc and
> kern.maxprocperuid to 32k and 16k, well above what this server actually
> runs of total processes.

It may only have a few processes running, but uid 2 was the owner of
the one process that caused the total to exceed the maxproc limit.

> To make things even more interesting, java dies by signal 6 (Abort)
> frequently (it's running Tomcat 4.1) (while I was writing this mail, make
> buildworld Abort'ed as well :-I ) and I've had reports of this server
> panicing a few times the last 24 hours, but since I haven't been around
> when it's happened and no-one noted down the panic messages because they
> were too stressed about getting the computer up, I have no clue what might
> have happened there.

This may also be a side-effect of a resource limit being exceeded.

You should enable crashdumps, so that you can dissect the panic after
the computer reboots.

Kris

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE--