Date:      Sat, 7 Jan 1995 15:12:04 +1100 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@physics.su.oz.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        cg@FIMP01.fim.uni-linz.ac.at, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: guest account: Yggdrasil information

>> 2. It's a matter of fact, that all popular OS use GUIs (OS/2, Windows,
>>    Apple, NextStep, ...). So why don't we use X right after the installation
>>    to communicate with the user (yes, I know X needs lot of space, but
>>    if we shrink X to a minimum it's perhaps possible?). So install a minimum
>>    OS on the HD, copy a small X version to the disk, and start the X server.
>
>The problem is not one of space - the problem is getting X up and
>working on a user's system!  This still remains one of the hardest
>parts of a general FreeBSD install, and until the XFRee86 Project, Inc
>comes up with something more _seamless_, it's rather difficult to
>count on having X available on any users system! :-(

It should be possible to get the 16-colour or mono server (our 16
colour server is quite slow so the mono server is probably a better
option) running on any VGA-compatible card at the standard 640x480 VGA
resolution using the provided sample XF86Config file.  The only bit that
needs configuring to do this is the mouse protocol/device setting.  That's
the mode MS Windows will run in until you install a card-specific driver.
To do anything much more adventurous is in my opinion doomed to failure.

If people still have EGA cards, they are out of luck.  Our mono server
will run on the old Hercules mono cards though.

David