Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:11:19 +1000
From:      John Marshall <john.marshall@riverwillow.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   8.0-BETA1 Source Upgrade breaks NTP configuration

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

Yesterday I source-upgraded a 7.2-RELEASE-p2 test i386 server to
8.0-BETA1.  I have just discovered that it broke that server's NTP
service.

PROBLEM 1 - Existing /etc/ntp.conf overwritten

For source upgrades I run "mergemaster -iCPU" and it has served me well
until now.  Mergemaster appeared to run "as normal" for this upgrade,
prompting me for decisions on how to deal with the handful of usual
files.  It didn't tell me that it had decided to overwrite my existing
/etc/ntp.conf with the new default version from the source tree!  (OK,
perhaps it told me in the big, long list at the end but it didn't prompt
me to supersede my existing file).

Looking at the mergemaster(8) man page, I can't see how the options I
use would have resulted in my existing /etc/ntp.conf being overwritten
with the version from the source tree - but obviously there is a woops
factor there, either with me or mergemaster.

Digging deeper, it looks like it may be due to the fact that this is a
new supplied file and an entry for /etc/ntp.conf didn't exist in
/var/db/mergemaster.mtree from the previous (7.2-RELEASE) run.  How
should this be handled?

PROBLEM 2 - Default ntp.conf uses LOCAL clock

So, having had the FreeBSD upgrade magically re-configure my NTP server
(no, I wasn't prompted to overwrite ntp.conf), I find that my NTP server
is now synchronizing with it's own (potentially wrong) local system
clock!  Our firewall is configured to allow NTP traffic between our
internal NTP servers and specific upstream NTP servers.  The default
configuration file specifies different servers which we don't use, so
this NTP server couldn't "see" them.

The new default configuration file includes "127.127.1.0" as a
configured server.  Because we could see no "real" NTP servers, we
synchronized with our local system clock.  That means that we think we
are synchronized to a reliable upstream source.  Rather than losing
synch and discovering the problem, we think we are synchronized to a
reliable source and we and our clients drift away from reality in
blissful ignorance.  Surely this violates POLA!

Could we *please* at least comment out the LOCAL server config in the
supplied ntp.conf?  Personally I would rather see it removed.  It is one
thing to tell people where the gun is if they want to shoot themselves
in the foot; it's another thing to load it and fire it for them.

I think it is good to have a default ntp.conf to help new users get
started.  I think it is a bad thing to include potentially dangerous
elements in that configuration which could cause grief to a novice NTP
administrator.  If the default configuration provides scope for such
surprises, they will (rightly) blame FreeBSD.

--=20
John Marshall

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD

--HlL+5n6rz5pIUxbD--