Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 10:28:42 +0100
From:      Kevin Golding <kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 4.4 Rel to 4 Stable fails at make installworld

Someone, quite probably , once wrote:
>      I've just done a fresh install of 4.4Rel, and I'm trying to upgrade to
>the latest stable.
>
>In single user mode [using shutdown now] having dropped from multiuser mode -
>All went well until I got to "make installworld". I hit the issue
>mentioned in
>UPDATING 20020404 about the new Sendmail user smmsp. I followed the advice to:
>cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster; make install clean
>mergemaster -p
>
>I used the "i" option to install each of the temporary files that
>appeared.

I believe the handbook says something different:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html

    # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/mergemaster
    # ./mergemaster.sh -p

so even if that isn't an actual problem maybe we should think about
getting both in sync.

As for the temp files I tend to merge since an install would wipe my
passwords and users.  Also at the end it asks if you want to rebuild
master.passwd which I tend to do as I've never noticed anything that
would break my buildworld by not.

Kevin
--
kevin@caomhin.demon.co.uk