Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 15:16:10 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        Alexandre =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=E9ry=2Fdgt=2Fsct?= <Alexandre.Dery@sct.gouv.qc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting the CD-ROM = read error

Alexandre Déry/dgt/sct wrote:

>Hi there !
>
>Completely new to FreeBSD, I'm a linux guy (mainly Slackware.... I like the
>hard way .. ;)
>
>I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.3 from CDROM (burned from ISO).
>
>The machine is a dual P-233MMX, 384mb ram, 2 scsi disks (with NT4 on first
>disk).
>
>The board is an Intel DK440LX, scsi controler embeded (aic-7895)
>
>IDE CDROM, Master on 2nd IDE Bus
>
>Planning to install FreeBSD on 2nd disk (where linux still is...)
>
>I boot from the cdrom, and the only thing it says is 'Read Error'. Nothing
>else.
>
>I've been able to boot that CD on many other pcs just fine.... and I've
>read the cd with NT... works well... so the CDROM itself doesn't seem to be
>the problem here...
>
>Lilo is still installed on mbr... is that a problem ?

Depending on the version you are trying to install and the hardware
involved, there may be several problems.

- The CD-ROM drive is maybe not fully ATAPI compatible
- You got an older FreeBSD CD-ROM, wich seeks only at disk 0 slave for
the CD-ROM drive

Try to reconnect your CDROM as ata 0 slave.

HTH
-Christoph Sold