Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:47:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com, ponds!cdsnet.net!mrcpu
Cc:        ponds!FreeBSD.ORG!hackers, ponds!nethelp.no!sthaug, ponds!lambert.org!terry
Subject:   ownership - root or bin?  (was Re: sendmail complains about being unable to write his pid file)

This is likely an old thread - but I wanted to add a point no one else
has mentioned...

I recall working on some boxes in the early, heady, days of UNIX
(early 80s) where root did own everything in /bin and /usr/bin.

The reason we found for changing this was that an errant program
could accidently get permissions to do all sorts of nasty things
(mostly kernel issues...) making it easy for someone to become
root, etc...  creating "bin" and having that uid own the programs
was a nice way to avoid these catastrophes.

Personally, I'd rather have root ownership restricted to as few
files as possible...

	- Dave Rivers -