Date:      Sun, 18 Dec 1994 01:08:31 -0700
From:      kurto@tiny.mcs.usu.edu (Kurt Olsen)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boottimedevice configuration

>   All of the above has been heavily discussed over the past 4 months or so,
>and the idea is generally the direction that we're headed. It's still unclear
>if we will be storing the device configuration information in the kernel
>binary somehow or if it will be stored in a seperate file. Do the latter
>either complicates the boot code or creates a chicken-and-egg problem for
>the configuration of the boot device.
>
>-DG

I would go with the current scheme of having some compile time
defaults. Then using the -c option in the kernel a user could change
the settings on a temporary basis to get it booted.  Then if they don't
want to recompile they could create a file to setup the changes for the
next boot.  As for changing the boot device, why not allow this bit of
information to be written directly to the boot code.  I'm not sure
exactly what would required for this, but it seems like a useful
feature.

Kurt Olsen
kurto@cc.usu.edu

ps - I'm still waiting for someone to give an opinion of what to do
     about drand48 and friends.

pps - I'm also still wondering if anyone can help me with some code
      for identifying a Cyrix 486DX2 (not a DLC.)  I've talked with
      Cyrix and got a callback so I'm really happy, but their suggestion
      was to send them the code and they'll see if they can figure it
      out. Needless to say the only reasonably way I can see to get them
      the code would be a CD, maybe after the new year.