Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 14:59:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (noperiph:ahc0:0:-1:-1) & forwarded message ...

Justin T. Gibbs writes:
> >Sure. This was done using the new ahc drivers.  Given that most of the
> >ahc boot message is about termination, here's all of it:
> >
> >ahc0: <Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI adapter> port 0xe800-0xe8ff mem 0xffaff0
> >00-0xffafffff irq 11 at device 14.0 on pci0
> >ahc0: Reading SEEPROM...done.
> >ahc0: Manual LVD Termination
> >ahc0: BIOS eeprom is present
> >ahc0: Secondary High byte termination Enabled
> >ahc0: Secondary Low byte termination Enabled
> >ahc0: Primary Low Byte termination Enabled
> >ahc0: Primary High Byte termination Enabled
> >ahc0: aic7890/91 Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/255 SCBs
> >ahc0: Downloading Sequencer Program... 430 instructions downloaded
>
> It seems that your manual LVD Termination is not correct given
> the picture you drew in your earlier message.  Don't you have
> an external device on this thing?
>
> Also, your picture seemed to show that all devices live on the
> same (LVD?) segment.  It that true?

There are two segments. All the drives live on one, and yes, that one
is plugged into the LVD socket on the motherboard. The other end of
that cable is plugged into an active terminator. The slower devices
are on socket adapters to go from 68 to 50 pins.

The second is on the 50 pin socket on the motherboard, and runs to an
expansion socket (50pin HD), and then to an external
scanner.

> When the system hangs, if you are at the console, can you drop
> into the debugger.  You must have options DDB in your kernel
> to try this.

Are you just curious about whether or not I can, or is there something
specific you'd like to know? If the former, the system is still
responding to interrupts - it echos characters and answers to
pings. Does that answer the question?

	Thanx,
	<mike